For small infestations, a mix of home detergent and water used with a sponge or brush may be all that is required to eliminate mold from the wood in your house. In certain tougher cases, careful sanding or even replacement is called for. But keep in mind that mold spores can be dangerous, so many infestations should be evaluated by professionals with suitable training and removal procedures.
Here are some things to consider when attempting to eliminate mold from wood surfaces:
- Dip a soft brush or sponge into the mix and wipe off the mold from the affected wood surfaces. As soon as you’ve removed signs of the mold, you may be tempted to give the wood a final rinse. Do not do this. Additional water can trigger fresh mold growth on the timber, negating your attempts. Your aim to dry the area and make it less inclined to encourage mold growth when possible.
- Do not use bleach. Porous surfaces like wood and shingles give the mold lots of nooks and crannies to hide in taking mold spores out of reach of even the most careful bleach scrub. The mold will simply re-grow from within these micro-crevices soon after you complete them. In addition, bleach loses its capacity to kill mold rapidly after it is produced. Last, bleach is a powerful chemical, posing risks to your own eyes, skin, and kids.
- If cleaning the mold from the wood has left stains behind, you might want to sand the stains away. Use the best sandpaper you can that still gets the work done. Some hardware stores sell a little number of packs of distinct self. Make sure you wear protective equipment as mold spores can be released during sanding and these could make you ill. Cheap, adjustable N95 masks are available in the hardware store.
- Another option would be to have the timber removed, discarded, and replaced. Frequently wood replacement takes less time and effort than you might expect compared to the labor intensiveness of cleaning large or hard wooden surfaces.
- Once you’ve eliminated the mold from the wooden items, use a HEPA vacuum cleaner to trap mold spores from the air. Most shop vacuums don’t have a filter capable of trapping mold spores. Some household cleansers, like those from Dyson, have assembled in HEPA filtering, but you need to use caution when emptying the debris into the garbage.
- If you’re unsure how to proceed and especially for regions larger than 10 square feet, then speak to a professional mold remediation company. They can help you determine if cleaning the mold is achievable or if replacement is preferable. They can also offer you tips on techniques and products to use — or simply deal with the cleanup for you. The correct strategy may save your property, but it may also help you prevent becoming ill from the spores. Click to learn more.
If it comes to mold growth issues, prevention is the best medicine. Maintain the indoor humidity to a minimum and fix water leaks. For almost any mold issue that covers more than 10 square feet, or that you are not comfortable cleaning yourself, please contact your local PuroClean office or check this website.